Sr. Project Engineer
This position fulfills the need for composites design engineering of new products from conception, through drawing realization, tool design, prototyping, testing, production implementation and process improvement. This hands-on position also assists production in improving production processes.
Primary responsibilities are to provide technical expertise, support, and direction to the design relating to manufacturability, cost, and work-flow. Manage prototype builds. Work closely with customer to recommend design alterations to improve the quality of products, their performance and/or manufacturability and perform engineering design evaluations of complex projects. Responsible for transforming highly complex components and assembly designs into working documents using computer aided design (CAD) software.
- Oversees multiple projects and completes them on schedule with minimal supervision.
- Suggest and implement practical solutions in applying lean manufacturing principles and quality processes and procedures.
- Assists with new product development: Product research, design, and modeling
- Extensive and proficient use of Solid-Works CAD software (Catia and UG available).
- Structural analysis, stress analysis / sizing and structural testing experience a plus. (software lease as required).
- Tooling design: Modeling of complex geometry to develop tooling; specifying and quoting of tooling; supervision of tooling fabrication and implementation.
- New project management (through prototype fabrication and production assimilation).
- Research and propose new manufacturing technologies that will improve production capabilities and reduce product cost.
- Develop detailed manufacturing plans to include make vs. buy decisions, manufacturing location, work flow, layout and requirements for resources, facilities and tooling.
- Responsible for supporting manufacturing pre-production and production activities.
- Provides information for the preparation of manufacturing plans, test equipment documents, cost proposals and facility improvements.
- May train production employees in the fabrication of composite products, operation of specialized equipment, lean manufacturing and quality.
- Responsible for designing a variety of tools, jigs and fixtures that will assist in increasing production efficiency.
- Responsible for reviewing engineering designs for manufacturing feasibility and recommending design changes that will enhance production, eliminate variation.
- Responsible for reducing production cost by undertaking make/buy, value engineering studies. Improves and streamlines processes by eliminating waste utilizing value engineering, cost saving ideas and root cause analysis of nonconformance.
- Coordinate and supervise internal mechanical and physical property testing as well as sub-contracted testing services in support of product development activities.
SECONDARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Setup and maintenance of job instruction/routings/BOM via Syteline system
- Assist with CNC programming (Unigraphics).
- Responsible for investigating engineering problems during fabrication, test, and assembly operations and initiating corrective action.
- Creates manufacturing process planning and bills of material in the most economical way while employing lean manufacturing methodologies.
- Any other functions necessary to sustain company operations.
- Assist program management with scheduling, budgeting, and technical oversight.
- Support sales and business development activities through preparation of estimates and schedules for new product development proposals.
- Must have good interpersonal skills and be able to interface with all levels of employees.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret customer specification documents, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write comprehensible drawings, specifications, reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and employees.
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, Power Point, MS Project & Visual Basic preferred).
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Basic acumen of Accounting and budgeting principles necessary to read and interpret project budget statements, financial reports, and meet financial objectives for assigned area and programs.
Education, Experience & Skills Prerequisite
- Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing or Mechanical Engineering plus four years applicable experience.
- Proficient in non-linear composite structural design and analysis utilizing FEMAP/NASTRAN
- Strong expertise with 3D Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software. Nastran, MSC NASTRAN, Siemens PLM NX Nastran, FEMAP, ANSYS, or equivalent a plus.
- Proficient with 3-D CAD design tools, especially Solid-Works &/or Unigraphics and CATIA are optional tools.
- Experience with CNC programming software such as Unigraphics, Mastercam and Esprit
- Good hands-on working knowledge of composite manufacturing processes and techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of lean manufacturing.
- Strong mechanical and fabrication skills.
- Must possess the ability to work with a broad range of organizations, both internally and externally, and have a strong bias towards customer satisfaction and working in a team environment.
- Compliance with AS9100 processes and procedures.
- Proficiency in a wide range of fabrication and manufacturing processes associated with component and system level production.
Incorporate our Core Values daily:
- Serve Others: Strive to serve others by putting their needs first; help people develop and perform as highly as possible.
- Integrity: Ability to conduct all matters with honesty, respect and high moral character.
- Excellence: Ability to achieve outstanding results in all you do.
- Humility: Ability to seek understanding and constructive criticism when holding yourself and others accountable.
- Innovation: Ability to envision what could be by challenging the way things have been.
- Fulfillment: Ability to find satisfaction and meaning in your work by developing your capabilities to create the greatest value.
- Continuous Improvement: Ability to leverage knowledge and experiences to improve how you serve others.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EOE-race/gender/veteran/disabled/sexual orientation/gender identity