This position fulfills the need for composites design engineering of new products from conception, through drawing realization, tool design, prototyping, testing, production implementation and process improvement. This hands-on position also assists production in improving production processes.
Primary responsibilities are to provide technical expertise, support and direction to the design relating to manufacturability, cost, work-flow. Work closely with customer to recommend design alterations to improve the quality of products, their performance and/or manufacturability and perform engineering design evaluations of projects. Responsible for transforming components and assembly designs into working documents using computer aided design (CAD) software.
Reports to Engineering Manager
- Suggest and implement practical solutions in applying lean manufacturing principles and quality processes and procedures.
- Assists with new product development: Product research, design, and modeling
- Extensive and proficient: use of Solid-Works CAD software (Catia and UG available).
- Tooling design: Modeling of complex geometry and stress/thermal analysis to design/develop tooling; specifying and quoting of tooling; supervision of tooling fabrication and implementation.
- Research and propose new manufacturing technologies that will improve production capabilities and reduce product cost.
- Develop detailed manufacturing plans to include make vs. buy decisions, manufacturing location, work flow, layout and requirements for resources, facilities and tooling.
- Responsible for supporting manufacturing pre-production and production activities.
- Provides information for the preparation of manufacturing plans, test equipment documents, cost proposals and facility improvements.
- May train production employees in the fabrication of composite products, operation of specialized equipment, lean manufacturing and quality.
- Responsible for designing a variety of tools, jigs and fixtures that will assist in increasing production efficiency.
- Responsible for reviewing engineering designs for manufacturing feasibility and recommending design changes that will enhance production, eliminate variation.
- Responsible for reducing production cost by undertaking make/buy, value engineering studies. Improves and streamlines processes by eliminating waste utilizing value engineering, cost saving ideas and root cause analysis of nonconformance.
Secondary Job Responsibilities
- Setup and maintenance of job instruction/routings/BOM via Syteline system
- Quality assurance inspections, first article inspection reports.
- Responsible for investigating engineering problems during fabrication, test, and assembly operations and initiating corrective action.
- Creates manufacturing process planning and bills of material in the most economical way while employing lean manufacturing methodologies.
- Any other functions necessary to sustain company operations.
- Must have good interpersonal skills and be able to interface with all levels of employees in order to solve technical problems.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret customer specification documents, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write comprehensible drawings, specifications, reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and employees.
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, Power Point, MS Project & Visual Basic preferred).
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Basic acumen of Accounting and budgeting principles necessary to read and interpret project budget statements, financial reports, and meet financial objectives for assigned area and programs.
Education, Experience & Skills Prerequisite
- Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing or Mechanical.
- Proficient with 3-D CAD design tools, especially Solid-Works &/or Unigraphics and CATIA are optional tools.
- Good hands-on working knowledge of composite manufacturing processes and techniques, especially RTM.
- Demonstrated knowledge of lean manufacturing.
- A working knowledge of SPC techniques and process tracking metrics.
- Strong mechanical and fabrication skills.
- Must possess the ability to work with a broad range of organizations, both internally and externally, and have a strong bias towards customer satisfaction and working in a team environment. US Government contracting experience a plus.
- Compliance with AS9100 / NADCAP processes and procedures.
- Proficiency in a wide range of fabrication and, manufacturing processes associated with component and system level production.
To conform to U.S. Government military technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S citizen or, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected Individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120,15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EOE-race/gender/veteran/disabled/sexual orientation/gender identity