Director of Engineering
Fiber Dynamics is an innovation and engineering driven company specializing in the design, development and production of advanced composite structures, processes and materials. We are driving rapid growth in our engineering department as our customers seek our exceptional product design, innovative product development and production services. This position fulfills the need for an engaged forward-thinking Director of Engineering to develop and lead the engineering team. The Director of Engineering must be capable of strategic thinking, engineering planning, execution and management of related services, products and processes. The Director of Engineering must be able to develop constructive working relationships between the engineering team and both internal and external customers, regulatory agencies, research institutions, vendors and all stakeholders. The ability to develop working relationships and provide technical engineering guidance is critical to the success of this position.
The Director of Engineering will report directly to the General Manager
- Provides professional and technical guidance to ensure that effective engineering standard practices, standard processes and standard procedures are developed, implemented and maintained.
- Leads engineering team in developing, implementing, maintaining and improving optimal, cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications, regulatory and quality standards.
- Provides guidance to management regarding all activities and policies related to research, design, engineering and production efforts.
- Guides, develops and writes technical instructions, proposals, research plans, business case development reports, presentations, specification, test and inspection plans, etc., primarily related to the research, design and manufacture of composite structures.
- Plans, staffs, and track schedules for complex projects and new product/process launches, working with Program Managers where applicable.
- Provides managerial oversight, strategic direction, technical expertise, and engineering team support to new product introduction activities. Responsible for supporting manufacturing pre-production through production transition by providing complete work instructions, quality plans, labor standards and training to technicians.
- Designs, leads or assists in the design of composite automation equipment and processes such as automated fiber placement, robotic placement, automated molding, data collection and reporting, resin infusion, molding machines, advanced assembly, machining and inspection.
- Designs, develops and/or assists in the development of proprietary products, materials and processes for the purpose of strengthening company Intellectual Property assets.
- Works closely with industry leaders, research institutions, technical resources and governmental funding agencies or private resources to develop funded research programs such as SBIR/STTR grants, government contracts, etc. that further company objectives.
- Troubleshoots new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes. Identifies opportunities and implements changes to improve manufacturing processes, materials, products and cost.
- Investigates and resolves operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Applies continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing and the implementation of new technologies or equipment to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability, capacity, capability and cost-effectiveness.
- Supports engineering, quality and operations team in resolving material and process quality problems, purchasing issues, customer requests, customer contract requirements, technical support, sales requests, safety and environmental compliance.
- Develops partnerships between engineering and quality engineers to assure product and process quality by ensure that all hardware is conforming and meets quality standards.
- Plans and manages prototype design, development, detail fabrication, testing, evaluation and reporting.
- Evaluates manufacturing processes by applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; while gaining insight from equipment vendors, suppliers and operators.
- Responsible for composite material development, qualifications, and material standards. Develop and implement robust test plans and reporting processes.
- Tests and assess prototypes and final assemblies for accuracy, performance, and expense.
- Manages tooling acquisition by designing, specifying and quoting of tooling and by providing oversight of tooling fabrication, acquisition and introduction to production.
- Works closely with customer to recommend design alterations to improve the quality of products, their performance and/or manufacturability and manage execution of complex projects.
- Coordinates and supervises internal mechanical and physical property testing as well as sub-contracted testing services in support of research, product development and production activities.
Secondary Job Responsibilities
- Support sales and business development activities through customer liaison, proposal writing, estimating, budgeting, scheduling, and technical oversight.
- Any other functions necessary to sustain and improve company operations.
Competencies and Skills
- Must have good interpersonal skills and be able to interface constructively with all levels of employees and customers.
- Ability to effectively analyze and implement customer specifications, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write comprehensible specifications, reports, presentations, proposals, technical papers and business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and employees.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Project, virtual meeting and team communication software.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions, then implement and manage a structured plan for efficient outcomes.
- High Level of Professionalism.
- Ability to oversee multiple projects and complete them on schedule with minimal supervision.
- Maintain high level of discretion and confidentiality.
- CNC programming, industrial robotics and automation experience preferred.
- Composites FEA analysis experience preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of lean manufacturing principles and execution.
- Knowledge of industry specifications, practices and standards, with a particular focus on the design, fabrication, qualification and testing of composite materials and structures.
- Experience developing engineering drawings, specifications and providing guidance to design, stress, and manufacturing engineers.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to interpret and implement knowledge from general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and governmental regulations.
- Ability to solve technical and practical problems with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists and then implement standardized procedures for those solutions.
- Government research and contracting experience is preferred.
Education, Experience & Skills Prerequisites
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace, Composites or Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent discipline). Masters degree and/or PE strongly preferred.
- 10 years minimum experience in engineering of composite structures.
- 5 years minimum experience in engineering management.
- Skilled in CAD software 3D surfacing and design (SolidWorks, NX or Catia preferred)
- Must possess the ability to work with a broad range of organizations, both internally and externally, and have a strong bias towards both internal and external customer satisfaction by working in a team environment.
- Compliance with and development of AS9100 Design processes and procedures.
- Strong hands-on working knowledge of composite manufacturing techniques with good mechanical and fabrication skills. Must be able to practically implement theoretical elements of composite materials and processing into cost efficient production solutions.
Be willing to demonstrate Fiber Dynamics Core Values daily:
- Serve Others: Strive to serve others by putting their needs first; help people develop and perform as highly as possible.
- Integrity: Ability to conduct all matters with honesty, respect and high moral character.
- Excellence: Ability to achieve outstanding results in all you do.
- Humility: Ability to seek understanding and constructive criticism when holding yourself and others accountable.
- Innovation: Ability to envision what could be by challenging the way things have been.
- Fulfillment: Ability to find satisfaction and meaning in your work by developing your capabilities to create the greatest value.
- Continuous Improvement: Ability to leverage knowledge and experiences to improve how you serve others.
ITAR / Government Requirements
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
May need to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level (U.S. Citizenship required). Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement
EOE-race/gender/veteran/disabled/sexual orientation/gender identity